Careers you’ve never heard of? Audiology

If you are interested in a medical career but aren’t keen on medicine, dentistry or nursing, this series of posts will give you an awareness of alternatives.


I’d never heard of this profession until 2008 when I did a temporary job with a girl who was doing an audiology degree. So what is it?

Audiologists assess hearing and balance, they recommend treatments and therapies to minimise or treat hearing problems and disorders. Audiologists can specialise in paediatrics,  adult auditory rehab, tinnitus,  balance assessment or cochlear implants. Audiologists work directly with patients, often giving advice and counselling to those coping with hearing loss or damage. They are also responsible for assessing and interpreting hearing assessments and reporting back to patients and other health care staff.

How do I enter the profession?

To become an audiologist, one may enter the NHS practitioner training program (PTP) which involves usually a three year BSc undergraduate degree from an accredited university. These courses include a placement for students to understand the practicalities of the discipline. Here is a list of all accredited degrees in audiology:

If you already have an undergraduate degree in another subject and want to specialise in audiology through the NHS scientist training programme ((STP) specialising in neurosensory science. The minimum entry requirements are usually a relevant degree  at 2:1 undergraduate level. Also if you haven’t got a degree you can also become a newborn hearing screener, those who help identify newborns who need to have hearing screening using screening equipment  You will need the equivalent of 3 GCSEs at grade C or above. So if you are interested in helping and assessing hearing, don’t hesitate to research the profession more.